Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Thats a cow"

6/25/11

This particular night found us again at the cemetery and a new location that we had long suspected held secrets yet to be revealed.  There are the ruins of 2 small rock structures on the ranch that have been there as long as anyone in the family remembers.  The one of particular interest on this night is believed by academics to have been built by the Spanish.  It’s exact purpose and genesis are only conjecture but very intriguing none the less.   My husband wanted to do a smudging there to appease the spirits of the natives of the land.  If the Spanish were present at any time, they are known to have oppressed, slaughtered and enslaved the native populations of any land their feet touched.  I am not a fan, and I am known to say something that involves a curse word when referring to the plague that was the Spanish.  

 Spanish rock structure 
Along for the adventure were my husband, Retha and my youngest son’s girlfriend Haley.  We also invited my friend Cyril and his girlfriend at the time.  He had expressed a keen interest in going with us, but I don’t think she approached it with quite the same zeal.  She was quiet and never strayed more than a few inches from one of us the entire time.  

We gave them a quick rundown of the layout and some areas where we had captured some EVPs and then set them loose.  The rest of us all went and did our own thing and gave them some space to explore and find their own groove.  I would occasionally glance their way and wonder if the spirits of the land were welcoming them as they had us.  

That was a cow!
Toward the end of our time there, we met near the center to chat and view each others photos.  Just as were going our separate ways, a cow on an adjacent area of land let out an unusual and bone chilling noise.  Cyril turned on his heels with a wide eyed look of terror and headed straight towards me.  My only response was “that's a cow”.  His shoulders relaxed, the color returned to his face and he gave me a sheepish smile.  They had brought spotlights that could be seen from space, so I can’t imagine they thought anything was going to sneak up on them. That still makes me smile.

Land of wonder
As we drove back to the ranch entrance, my husband stressed to the green horns that the rule in Texas is “where there are rocks, there are snakes”.  I don’t think that did much to make them feel comfortable and then the spleen loosening ride to the site was certain to put them over the edge.  But then again, spirit hunting is not always cushy.  

My husband led us through the thick brush and over hill and dale until we reached the rock house.  As he prepared to do the smudging, I asked everyone to turn off their flashlights and look up.  I wanted them to drink in the magnificent light show that the Lord had so graciously provided for us.  Both of them would comment they had never seen anything like that except in a planetarium.
 
We all did EVP sessions and took a lot of photos but the spirits were silent that night.  I do feel good that we did our humble best to honor and appease them. It is important to my husband to make them aware that they are remembered, cherished and welcome.  I hope they now know that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment